Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas Hangover

Is a Christmas hangover a thing? I think it is, but if not it absolutely should be. I don't know about all of you but this year I felt stressed TO THE MAX when it came to getting ready for Christmas. Honestly, I think there were so many other things going on that it was hard for me to focus on Christmas. And let's be honest, it didn't help that my husband and I did almost all of our shopping on Saturday, December 23. That 100% did not stress him out but I am completely opposite- it 100% stressed me out.

With the stress of tying up last minute details, I was left feeling like I was missing out on spending time with my girls. One of the things I look forward to during the holiday is spending time with my kids. As a teacher, I cherish the time we get to spend relaxing without the hustle and bustle of a typical school day. This year was different and to be honest, I didn't like it.

Maybe the pressure of the holidays comes from within. Maybe, just maybe, the only person who even thinks about having the presents perfectly wrapped, freshly baked cookies for Santa, and a plan to make the season merry and bright is me. While I'd love to say I've got our Christmas traditions scheduled to a "t" and that I always bring my Christmas "a-game", I can't. At least not with a straight face! There is always the craziness that goes with trying to make everything perfect at the last minute! But, guess what? My kids are two and nine- they aren't putting any pressure for perfection on me! It is 100% me.

Is the Christmas season chaotic? Yes. Is it stressful? Often times. But is it one of the most beautiful and meaningful times of the year? Yes, at least it should be. As I reflect on this year's Christmas, I'm not sure what caused my lack of spirit, but I know Christmas didn't feel all that Christmasy. Here's to making next year better, not for my kids (because they had a great Christmas), but for me because I deserve it too.

Finding the charm in everyday life.

xo Molly





No comments:

Post a Comment